The Marks of Faithful and Effective Authorized Ministers
The Marks of Faithful and Effective Authorized Ministers is a tool for discernment and assessment, created especially for use by Members in Discernment, Committees on Ministry, and authorized ministers. The Marks developed through conversations surrounding the Ministry Issues Pronouncement of General Synod 25, which sought to expand UCC definitions of learnedness and leadership in authorized ministry and to emphasize excellence in ministerial formation.
It’s important to note that the Marks, available in multiple formats and languages below, is not a checklist or report card, in which one strives to receive a perfect grade in every category. Rather, the Marks of Faithful and Effective Authorized Ministers provides a lens for reflecting upon a person’s formation, gifts and growth both before authorization and throughout one’s ministry.
- The Marks of Faithful and Effective Authorized Ministers (revised)
- Las Senales de Los Cristianos Fieles y Ministerios Authorizados (revised)
- The Marks translated in Samoan (revised)
- The Marks in Large Print format (revised)
- Assessment Rubric for the Marks (available in print and as a downloadable PDF through UCC Resources)
- Journaling the Journey (available in print through UCC Resources)
Additional resources specific to authorized ministers in the United Church of Christ include: Grants for Personal and Vocational Crises distributed through the Pension Boards; Interim Ministry Guidelines; Information Review Form (a tool for maintaining one’s standing through intentional communication with one’s local Committee on Ministry); Faith and Wisdom (a searchable database of ecumenical Protestant opportunities for continuing education).