Refugee Accompaniment Newsletter November 2016
Calling All UCC Youth (Grades 9-12)
Help Refugees – Win Scholarships – Share your Creativity
ENTER the UCC’s SYRIAN REFUGEE ACCOMPANIMENT VIDEO CONTEST
The world today has more refugees and internally displaced people than at any time since World War II. Be part of the United Church of Christ’s “Still Speaking Voice” Initiative in December that will highlight Syrian Refugees.
Show your awareness of the response to the Syrian refugee crisis and highlight your local community’s plan of action for awareness-raising and welcoming.
Selected videos from this contest will go public on UCC media throughout December 2016.
Three of these videos will win scholarship prizes: 1st $2,000, 2nd $1,000, 3rd $500.
Note: The UCC also will acknowledge contest winners by making donations equal to the amount of these scholarships to Global Ministries’ (UCC/Disciples) partners involved in education with Syrian refugee youth. This $3,500 is in addition to on-going support of Syrian refugees through the One Great Hour of Sharing offering and designated donations for refugees.
Video Contest winners will be judged on the following criteria:
- Videos must be between 30 seconds and 2 minutes in length.
- Videos are accepted in the following formats: .MOV, .FLV, .AVI, .MP4, .WMV.
- One submission per person.
- Applicants must be in grade 9, 10, 11 or 12 on December 1, 2016.
- Videos must be creative and engaging.
- Videos and action plans must demonstrate authenticity.
- Videos must demonstrate awareness of the response of the United Church of Christ and Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) to the Syrian Refugee crisis.
- Videos must demonstrate an understanding of the long-term crisis that has made Syrian people refugees and internally displaced.
- Videos must present an action or plan of action that involves your congregation and/or community in accompaniment of Syrian refugees (awareness raising, education, welcoming, and/or fundraising).
- Videos that promote donations for Syrian Refugees must designate through the UCC’s Refugee Emergency Fund www.ucc.org/refugee_emergency_fund
- Notify UCC staff by November 11th of intent to submit a video at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upload finished video submission by November 29, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. EST.