Search now open for UCC General Minister and President
The committee searching for the next general minister and president of the United Church of Christ is now receiving nominations and applications.
The Rev. Emma Brewer Wallin, who chairs the search committee appointed by the UCC Board, released the announcement below on July 22. It’s the latest step in a process that began in January 2022. It will culminate in July 2023, when the 34th General Synod calls a new GMP by election.
Further details on the process are here, at the search committee’s web page.
Dear All United and Uniting in Christ:
I am pleased to share the position profile for the General Minister and President and announce that the search is now open for interested applicants.
The profile reflects significant input from throughout the United Church of Christ, including via open town hall listening sessions, conversations with leaders throughout the Wider Church, input from current National Setting staff, and reflections from participants in the COREM Convocation. I am grateful to all who shared openly with us and who helped shape a document that reflects the wide variety of hopes and needs of our denomination.
These conversations throughout the life of the Church reflect a range of top priorities we expect the next GMP to lead in, and clarified the expectation that the GMP engage in shared leadership with National Setting staff and leaders throughout the various settings of the Church. The position profile identifies seven areas of key opportunity and challenge, and integrates this with the essential functions and qualifications as approved by the United Church of Christ Board. Those key opportunities and challenges are:
- Develop a bold vision for pastoral leadership that is responsive to the changing landscape of the Church and the practice of ministry in a wide variety of contexts
- Lead a mission-driven community united by a commitment to excellence, accountability, and continuous improvement; be an effective manager of people and processes; and a collaborative, transparent decision-maker able to motivate a diverse community of stakeholders
- Secure the financial strength of the UCC through sustainable, wise, and responsible fiscal management
- Nurture, enhance, and expand vital relationships with local churches to ensure their sustainability into the future; facilitate bridge-building and healing across a “big tent” denomination in an era of national polarization
- Cultivate key strategic partnerships with local, regional, and national faith-based, interfaith, social justice, and civil society organizations to raise the profile of the UCC
- Maintain and strengthen commitment to anti-racism, and dismantling bias and oppression, within the Church and public square
- Champion the UCC’s mission and values both within the Church and externally; embody an adaptive, resilient leader who can guide the UCC through rapidly changing times; provide a foundation for the Church’s future stability and growth
If your prayerful review of the position profile is stirring your sense of call to the role of General Minister and President, we look forward to hearing from you. Please begin your confidential inquiry here. We also welcome informal nominations if you would like to recommend others’ candidacy. You may contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to recommend candidates or offer feedback on the search process.
Our search consultants will join potential candidates throughout their discernment, supporting their exploration of how their gifts and experiences are aligned with the position, and enabling candidates’ best presentation to the Search Committee. I am grateful to the Isaacson, Miller team for their work in helping us cast our nets wide in searching for excellent candidates throughout the expressions of the Church and supporting those candidates throughout the search process.
The Search Committee holds in prayer all who are considering whether God is calling them to serve the Church in this capacity, and we ask the whole Church to join our prayers throughout the search process.
Together in Christ,
Rev. Emma Brewer-Wallin Chair, General Minister and President Search Committee
Content on ucc.org is copyrighted by the National Setting of the United Church of Christ and may be only shared according to the guidelines outlined here.
The United Church of Christ will celebrate UCC Women’s Week, observed from March 3 to 9,...Read More
In the year following General Synod, the United Church of Christ typically holds an annual...Read More
This election year, the United Church of Christ is inviting children and youth to share their...Read More