How COVID-19 May Impact Mental Health and Wellness
Common reactions to a global pandemic such as:
- Fear and worry about personal health status and that of loved ones, including exposure to COVID 19
- Changes in sleep and eating patterns
- Difficulty concentrating
- Worsening of chronic health problems
- Increased use of alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs.
Increased symptoms of depression, anxiety, or other mental health conditions from
- Disruption in work and school schedules/loss of routine,
- Financial stressors,
- Changes in physical health, and
- Inability to access familiar support people and systems.
Some people may be at higher risk of mental health challenges including
- People with preexisting mental health conditions,
- People with substance use disorders,
- Children, and
- First responders such as doctors and healthcare workers.