Racial Justice Resources 2020
- Van Sertima, Ivan, They Came Before Columbus: The African Presence in Ancient America, (New York, NY: Random House, 1976).
- Ortiz, Paul. An African American and Latinx History of the United States. (Boston, MA: Beacon Press, 2018).
- Higginbotham, Leon A., Jr., Shades of Freedom: Racial Politics and Presumptions of the American Legal Process, (New York, NY: Oxford Press, 1996).
- Morrison, Toni, The Origins of Others, (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2017).
- Boesak, Allan Aubrey, Curtiss DeYoung, Radical Reconciliation: Beyond Political Pietism and Christian Quietism, (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Book, 2012).
- DiAngelo, Robin, What Does It Mean To Be White? Developing White Racial Literacy, (Peter Lang Publishing, 2012).
________ White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard For White People to Talk About Racism, (Boston, MA: Beacon Press, 2018).
- Resmaa, Menakem, My Grandmother’s Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending Our Hearts and Bodies, (Central Recovery Press: Las Vegas, NV, 2017).
- Mills, Charles, The Racial Contract, (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1997).
- Baptist, Edward E., The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism, (New York, NY: Basic Books, 2014).
- Cerrotti, Dennis Lyle, Hidden Genocide, Hidden People. (Wellesley, MA: Sea Venture Press, 2014).
- Villanueva, Edgar, Decolonizing Wealth: Indigenous Wisdom to Heal Divides and Restore Balance. (Oakland, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc., 2018).
- Newcomb, Steven T., Pagans in the Promised Land: Decoding the Doctrine of Christian Discovery. (Golden, CO: Fulcrum Publishing, 2008).
- Katz, William Loren, Black Indians: A Hidden Heritage. (New York, NY: Atheneum Books, 2012).
VIDEO AND READING RESOURCES BELOW
- Ibram X. Kendi on the History of Racist Ideas in U.S. Stamped from the Beginning
Online Reading Resources
- Everyday Racial Microaggressions
- Coates, Ta-Nehisi, “The Case for Reparations,” The Atlantic, June 2014
THEOLOGIES, CHRISTOLOGIES, AND GOD OF CULTURES
- Journey to Liberation: The Legacy of Womanist Theology Legacy of Womanist Theology
- This is My Body: Black Womanist Christology in Perspective Black Womanist Christology in Perspective
- Eradicating Misogyny, Heterosexism, and Homophobia in Black Churches Eradicating Misogyn, Heterosexism, and Homophobia in Black Churches
- Dr. Renita Weems: [Scream] Trayvon Martin Rev. Dr. Renita Weems Sermon “Scream” Trayvon Martin
- Introducing Womanist Theology – Stephanie Y. Mitchem
- An Introduction to Womanist Biblical Interpretation – Nyasha Junior
- Sisters in the Wilderness: The Challenges to Womanist God-Talk – Delores S. Williams
- Enfleshing Freedom, body, race, and being, — M. Shawn Copeland
- Embracing the Spirit: Womanist Perspectives on Hope, Salvation & Transformation – Emile M. Townes
- Women Race and Class – Angela Davis
Freedom is a Constant Struggle: Ferguson, Palestine and the Foundations of a Movement
The James Cone Collection
- For My People: Black Theology and the Black Church: Black Theology and the Life of the Church (Bishop Henry McNeal Turner Studies in North American Black Book
- Said I Wasn’t Gonna Tell Nobody: The Making of a Black Theologian
- A Black Theology of Liberation – Fourtieth Anniversary Edition
- Black Theology and Black Power
- God of the Oppressed
Latinx and Mujerista Resources
- Mujerista Theology – A Theology for the Twenty-First Century, Ada Maria Isasi-Diaz
- A Reader in Latina Feminist Theology: Religion and Justice, Maria Pilar Aquino
- Decolonizing Biblical Studies: A View from the Margins, A Postcolonial Commentary on the New Testament, Fernando F. Sergovia
- Racism and God-Talk: A Latino/A Perspective – Ruben Rosario Rodriguez
- The Ties That Bind: African American and Hispanic American/Latino/a Theologies in Dialogue – Anthony B. Pinn and Benjamin Valentin
- Harvest of Empire: A History of Latinos in America – Juan Gonzalez
Asian and Asian American Resources
- Heart of the Cross: A Postcolonial Christology, Anne Joh
- Making Paper Cranes: Toward an Asian American Feminist Theology, Mihee Kim-Kort
- Prophetic Lament: A Call for Justice in Troubled Times, Soong Chan Rah
- Off the Menu: Asian and Asian North American Women’s Religion and Theology, Rita Brock
- Postcolonial Bible (Bible and Postcolonial), R.S. Sugirtharajah
- Voices from the Margins, R.S Sugirtharajah
- The Myth of the Model Minority: Asian Americans Facing Racism, Rosalind S. Chou and Joe Feagin
For more Racial Justice Resources and information contact Rev. Dr. Velda Love Lovev@ucc.org