UCC Gathering at Poor People’s Campaign Mass Rally
We are looking forward to spending time with you at the Poor People’s Campaign Mass Rally on Saturday, June 23. We are especially excited to come together for a special UCC meet-up and light breakfast before we head down to the Mall.
We still have space, so if you want to bring a friend or another member of your congregation along, please know that they are welcome. (Please encourage them to register as they are able so we can have an accurate head count for breakfast.)
Here’s a rundown of some of the logistics. If you have further questions, contact our office manager, Suanne Breen (email@example.com; 202-543-1517) or myself (firstname.lastname@example.org; 202-543-1517).
Please join us at First Congregational United Church of Christ. Come anytime between 8:00-9:30 am to connect with other UCC marchers, grab a bite to eat, and prepare our spirits for a day of action.
Afterwards we will walk down together to the Poor People’s Campaign Mass Rally on the National Mall at 7th Street to hear the stories that are at the heart of the campaign, listen to words of inspiration and spirit-filled music, and connect with advocates from around the country. This is a short walk, just over a half mile and mostly downhill. At 1:00 pm, after the close of the rally, we will march down Independence Avenue to the U.S. Capitol.
First Congregational UCC is located at 945 G St. NW on the lower two floors of a modern, mixed-use building. Look for a modern structure with a two-story grey brick base and eight floors of reflective glass above. There is an abstract bronze cross at the northeast corner of 10th and G Streets, just outside the church doors.
First Congregational UCC is easily accessible from the Metro Center (Red, Orange/Silver/Blue) or Gallery Place (Red, Yellow/Green) metro stops. Their website is firstuccdc.org.
Here are a few tips for your time in DC:
- Stay tuned for updates – RSVP to the Poor People’s Campaign Facebook event. They will be posting regular updates there.
- Wear comfortable shoes and dress for the heat. Right now the weather looks like it will be in the high 80s, and standing outside in the sun can get warm. Bring sun screen.
- Pack a water bottle and be sure to stay hydrated.
- The Metro will likely be the best way to get around the city. (You can download a Metro map here.) If you’re planning to bring a bus, or want to offer transportation that others could join, let the campaign organizers know by filling out the bus registration form.
- Cell service can be hard to access in a crowd. If you’re in a group, plan a meet up spot in case you get separated. Consider printing or downloading a map of DC to your phone in advance so you have directions if you need them.
- Finally, join us in worship on Sunday! You can find a local congregation in DC, Virginia or Maryland via the UCC Potomac Association.