Call on Officials for Green New Deal
8) Through townhalls, delegations, candidate forums, emails, and petitions, call upon elected officials and candidates for office to support the Green New Deal.
Read up on the Green New Deal and the UCC’s support of it. Read more…
In recognition of the urgent need to address the intertwined crisis of climate and inequality, the UCC Council for Climate Justice has defined the next ten years as a kairos window of divine opportunity in which people of faith are called to an all-out mobilization of their gifts and resources. Over the course of ten weeks, the council will offer a weekly suggested action for how churches and institutions can mobilize during this critical period. Here is the eighth suggested action:
8) Through town halls, delegations, candidate forums, emails, and petitions, call upon elected officials and candidates for office to support the Green New Deal.
- Prepare for this effort by reading the UCC’s 2019 General Synod resolution in support of the Green New Deal.
- Make use of faith-based resources like Interfaith Power and Light’s “Faith Principles for a Green New Deal” and GreenFaith’s webpage devoted to the Green New Deal.
- Dig even deeper by reading and discussing Naomi Klein’s book On Fire: The Burning Case for the Green New Deal.