Search and Call
Search and Call Survey Conclusions
Our sincere thanks to you – our
clergy, members in discernment, conference and association staff – for
your feedback on the Search and Call Process in the United Church of
Parish Life and Leadership contracted with Marjorie
Royale, Ph.D., of Clay Pots Research, to analyze our data in order to
assist us in providing needed changes to the Search and Call Process in
order to better meet the needs of the United Church of Christ. Below
you will find a link to Marge Royal’s complete report:
Suvey Results - The UCC Search and Call Process
arrived at conclusions and recommended short-term improvements and
framed longer-term changes/adaptations in the context of a changing
religious landscape. While I encourage you to follow the above link and
read the entire report, I want to lift up a few conclusions…
• The Search and Call Process takes too long and is too complex.
The process works least well in church with part-time pastors. These
churches are a continuing and growing proportion of all UCC
• Different procedures in each conference make cross-conference searches difficult.
Conference staff play an important role in the success of the process,
yet with decreasing staff, they have less time for staffing this
• Clergy do not believe the Employment Opportunities
provides enough information upon which to make a decision about
submitting their profile.
• Continue stream-lining effort and make better use of technology.
• Eliminate or shorten the six-month waiting period for profile changes.
• Review both the Ministerial and Local Church Profiles to shorten the forms and remove redundancies.
• Eliminate the checklists in both profiles.
• Provide an option for an updated background check, rather than requiring a complete new check after 18 months.
• Add an item to the Ministerial Profile that briefly describes the pastor’s theology.
• Develop an online resource that summarizes each conference’s Search and Call procedures. Encourage consistency.
• Continue to develop and use the “designated pastor” or similar options.
• Structured questions about church vitality should be added to local church profile.
Again, thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Hintz.