Tips to keep relationships healthy while sheltering in place
Take care of yourself. If you are well-cared for, you will be a better partner, parent, sibling, caregiver, roommate, etc
- Turn off the media. While keeping informed can be helpful, too much media consumption can create emotional distance in relationships.
- Communicate ways you’d like to receive safe, nurturing touch. If you live alone, consider bubble baths, fuzzy blankets, or using a muscle roller massage stick or back scratcher for sensation on your skin.
- Take turns deciding which game to play, movie to watch, route to take on your walk, what to bake, etc.
- Share love in as many ways as you can. Tell the people you love that you do. Loving increases love in the world!
- Find ways to have alone time. Some people need more than others.
- Institute a daily spiritual practice or quiet time for reflection and rest.
- Use online meeting platforms such as Zoom, Skype, or Google Hangouts to connect with loved ones on a regular basis.
- Take time for honest check-ins about how you are feeling.
- Focus on gratitude daily. For what are you grateful in your partner/child/parent/roommate?