Camp Courageous of Iowa - Brochure Available
Contact: Tobi Luetkemeier
12007 190th Street
P.O. Box 418
Monticello, IA 52310
Phone: 319.465.5916 ext 2340
Camp Courageous is a year-round recreational and respite care facility for individuals of all ages with disabilities.
1) Maintenance projects such as pouring cement sidewalks, building sheds and trails and decks, installing fences, painting buildings and signs, splitting and staking firewood. Projects can be molded around the group's experience and special skills.
2) Volunteer groups also may serve as volunteer counselors. Volunteer counselors must be at least 16 years of age. These volunteers work alongside the Camp Courageous Counselors and work directly with campers for the week. They assist the campers in participating in a variety of activities including canoeing, arts & crafts, climbing, archery, swimming, hiking and caving. They are also in the cabin in the morning and at bedtime to help get the campers ready for the day and ready for bed at night. It is a fun, yet demanding week and requires maturity and dedication. Groups wishing to serve as counselors must commit to a full camp session (Summer - Sunday 2:15 p.m. - through Friday 2:00 p.m.)
Educational Components: Staff provides orientation for the group to the goals and program offered at Camp Courageous. Groups are responsible for their own education, reflection, worship.
- Keep updated on the United Church of Christ Disabilities Ministries
- Engage in a study using the resource, "Anybody, Everybody, Christ's Body" Developed by the Disabilities Network. This curriculum helps congregations become A-2-A (Accessible to All). Free #PLLA2A Call UCCR Resources 800.537.3394
- Acquaint your group with the 2005 General Synod Resolution, "Called to Wholeness in Christ: Becoming a Church Accessible to All"
Time: Year-Round. Day, weekend, full week. Camp Courageous is open year-round and can schedule volunteer groups almost any time. Summer season starts in late May and runs through mid-August.
Camp Courageous is open year-round and can schedule volunteer groups almost any time. Summer season starts in late May and runs through mid-August.
Group Size: 5-25
Minimum Age: For Volunteer Counselors age 16; To run power tools 18 years and other projects are flexible.
Adult to Youth Ratio: 1:8.
Accommodations: Various housing options are available on-site. Many groups stay in the lodge basement (one large room for sleeping on cots and two bathrooms are available). Other groups prefer Menster Dorm which provides 4 bedrooms that sleep up to 8 people each, 4 bathrooms, a small kitchen and large common area. Both options are air conditioned.
Cost: All groups are asked to provide a donation to the campership fund in the amount of one full campership $530.00 for a weeklong camp.