New faces added to UCC Board
There are several new faces on the United Church of Christ Board.
The delegates of General Synod 34 elected 12 new at-large members to UCC noard, five new members to the Nominating Committee, as well as a new moderator and assistant moderator.
After the elections, the Rev. June Boutwell, chair of the Nominating Committee, expressed that she is “deeply grateful to the General Synod for affirming the people brought by the Nominating Committee.”
“I know they will serve diligently and well as the Church holds them in prayer,” she added.
Even after the difficult season and the presentation of a non-compliant slate, the delegates elected these new board members to the class of 2029 by a vote of 622 yes, 28 no and five abstentions:
- Judith Booker (Michigan Conference)
- Deborah Dee Brayton (New York Conference)
- Sana Delcorazon (Pennsylvania Southeast Conference)
- Daniel Doty (Heartland Conference)
- Jimmy Lee Gibbs (Southern Conference)
- Cean James (Pennsylvania Southeast Conference)
- A.T. Ortiz (Pennsylvania Southeast Conference)
- Marcia Keesee (Kansas-Oklahoma Conference)
- Michael Readinger (Heartland Conference)
- Gregory Sato (Hawai’i Conference)
- Katherine West (Nebraska Conference)
- Andrew Williams (Vermont Conference)
Also elected were four new members of the Nominating Committee: Andria Davis (South Central Conference), Stephanie Perdew (Illinois Conference), Amy Roon (Pacific Northwest Conference) and Rebecca Sausser (Penn Northeast Conference).
Finally, the Rev. Rushan Sinnaduray — pastor of the Oasis United Church in Jefferson City, Mo., and Assistant Moderator of this Synod — was elected moderator by a vote of 667 yes, 2 no, and 3 abstentions. Jean Avison of Bethel Congregational Church in Beaverton, Ore., was elected Assistant Moderator.
The Rev. Jonathan Roach, a General Synod newsroom volunteer, currently serves as the Associate Conference Minister for the Hawai’i Conference. He lives in Kea’au, Hawai’i.
Content on ucc.org is copyrighted by the National Setting of the United Church of Christ and may be only shared according to the guidelines outlined here.
A new United Church of Christ national leader has been called. The UCC Board voted in a...Read More
On Sept. 15, 1963, a bomb was detonated at the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Ala.,...Read More
Marissa Clark holds a banner at the NYC march against fossil fuels. At least 75,000...Read More