Welcome to 2018 and Epiphany!
The Ministerial, Excellence, Support and Authorization Ministry Team (MESA) is pleased to host Members in Discernment (MIDs) at the Church House in Cleveland on April 12-13, 2018. This annual event introduces MIDs to the national setting of the UCC, builds a foundation for vital and lifelong relationships in ministry, provides resources and information, and creates a space for mutual support among colleagues. Please encourage your MIDs to take advantage of this important opportunity!
This event is limited to the first 50 qualified registrants, and MIDs may participate in this gathering only once during their process of discernment. Individual MIDs and their Associations are each asked to contribute $100 toward the cost of the event. Please contact your Conference/Association office, or Darrell Ludwig at firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information about travel scholarships, for the Association Contribution and Support Form, or any additional questions.
Registration information may be found here; the registration deadline is March 16, 2018 at 12pm Eastern time, or whenever maximum capacity is reached. The next Member in Discernment Gathering is scheduled for August 14-16, 2019.
Questions for Reflection
- What forms of support does your Association or Conference offer to MIDs?
- Do you gather your MIDs together for any purpose – retreat, support, educational opportunities, conversation with COMs and judicatory staff?
- How might you explore finding ways to build the relationships among the MIDs in your area?
Other COM News:
UCC Scholarship Applications are now available online for a variety of individuals and groups. Ministry Education scholarships are available for Members in Discernment (some additional requirements may apply); Program Grants are designed for congregations and/or congregational leaders. Leadership Development Scholarships are intended for United Church of Christ undergraduate students, future seminary professors, African-American laywomen, and gifted persons with disabilities, among others. Global Ministry Scholarships support individuals within a United Church of Christ overseas partner church or international seminary.
The MESA Team is dedicated to supporting your vital COM work through regular trainings offered online.
- On January 23 at 2:00-4:00pm ET, Response Team members are especially encouraged to attend a Fitness Review Training that focuses on the work of the Response Team.
- On February 7th at 3:00-4:30pm ET, COM members, clergy and local church leaders are invited to learn about best practices for Sabbaticals.
- On February 20th at 7:00-8:30pm ET, join us to explore the Ministry of COMs.
Each training is hosted by a member of the MESA Team, with space on Zoom for up to 50 participants. No registration is required; click on the title of the training you want to attend at the time it is scheduled to start.
Wishing you all the Light of Epiphany in these cold and gray days,
Rev. Elizabeth Dilley
Minister for Ministers in Local Churches
MESA – Ministerial Excellence, Support and Authorization
Local Church Ministries
United Church of Christ ~ Where God is Still Speaking
700 Prospect Avenue East
Cleveland, Ohio 44115
email@example.com ~ www.ucc.org