Our Whole Lives
OWL Taking Flight: Framing Conversations about Restarting OWL Programs Wednesday, July 7, 2021 12:00 PM Eastern US Time
Eager to start or re-start your Our Whole Lives program? Join national UCC and UUA OWL staff and guests to explore the value of a “soft reentry” focused on safety, community building, and relearning how to be in shared spaces, including considerations for justice and the integrity of OWL. Register for the live webinar, and even if you can’t make it, we will send you a link to the recording.
View Past Webinars
Our Whole Lives, together with Sexuality and Our Faith, helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their relationships, health and behavior in the context of their faith. It equips participants with accurate, age-appropriate information in six subject areas: human development, relationships, personal skills, sexual behavior, sexual health, and society and culture. It provides not only facts about anatomy and human development, but helps participants to clarify their values, build interpersonal skills and understand the social, emotional and spiritual aspects of sexuality.
Our Whole Lives
- is a series of sexuality education programs for six age groups: grades K-1, grades 4-6, grades 7-9, grades 10-12, Young Adults and Adults. The resources are written by professional sexuality educators and provide accurate information for parents, teachers and pastors to be used in the affirming and supportive setting of our churches. Order your curriculum via UCC Resources.
- The resources are based on the Guidelines for Comprehensive Sexuality Education produced by the National Guidelines Task Force, a group of leading health, education and sexuality professionals assembled by the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States.
- There is a Parent Guide to Our Whole Lives Grades K-1 and Grades 4-6 that accompanies the Our Whole Lives resource for those age levels. Our Whole Lives Grades 4-6 also uses the book, It’s Perfectly Normal, by Robie Harris.
Sexuality and Our Faith
- Is written by United Church of Christ and Unitarian Universalist Association members and is the accompanying resource used for each of the grade groups: grades K-1, grades 4-6, grades 7-9 and grades 10-12, Young Adults and Adults in the church setting.
- All but the Adult book have separate sections devoted to UCC and UUA faith traditions. The Adult Sexuality and Our Faith book has reflects UCC theology. However, the UUA Adult Sexuality and Our Faith companion is available by calling their bookstore: 800-215-9076. By using Sexuality and Our Faith, leaders integrate worship, prayer and discussion of United Church of Christ faith values and principles into the programs for each age group.
Our Whole Lives and Sexuality and Our Faith resources may be purchased by visiting UCC Resources. UCC members who are attending an OWL training may contact email@example.com for a discount code to use when purchasing their materials.
What do these resources provide?
Each level of Our Whole Lives and Sexuality and Our Faith offers:
- A well-designed, teacher-friendly leader’s guide
- Trained leaders
- Parent orientation programs that engage parents in the sexuality education of their children
- United Church of Christ materials incorporating worship and religious values into the program
- Up-to-date information and candid answers to all participants’ questions
- Activities to help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- Effective group-building to create a safe and supportive peer environment
- Education about sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment
- Opportunities to critique media messages about gender and sexuality
- Acceptance of diversity
- Encouragement to act for justice
Our Whole Lives and Sexuality and Our Faith respond to General Synod actions calling for the development of sexuality education materials for all ages. Participating in a human sexuality program in a supportive and affirming environment in the church will help participants understand that sexuality is an important part of the way God created us; that their church cares about their sexual development; and that caring Christian adults are willing and able to talk with them about their questions and concerns.
Other helpful Our Whole Lives links:
Minister Amy Johnson on Sexuality & the Church:
Bringing our Whole Selves to God
- Interested in Hosting an Our Whole Lives Training? Download the Our Whole Lives Hosting Guide!
- Why get trained? Lean more about Our Whole Lives/Sexuality and Our Faith Facilitator Training.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- A Selected Chronology of UCC Relevant Actions and Events