Ten “Naked Truths”: Prophetic Action and the Climate Crisis
As the Theologian-In-Residence for Ames United Church of Christ and as the United Church of Christ’s Environmental Justice Minister, the Rev. Dr. Brooks Berndt delivered a keynote address on the relevancy of the Hebrew prophets in confronting to today’s climate crisis. He outlined 10 “Naked Truths” that point to both the need for prophetic action and the key elements of prophetic action:
- Science tells us we can’t wait any longer.
- We are faced with more than a science problem. We are faced with a social change problem.
- We are faced with more than science problem and a social change problem. We are also faced with a spiritual problem.
- As unsettling as they may be, what we need now as much as ever are prophets.
- We can’t wait for others to be the prophets we need. Each of us is called to the prophetic.
- Being prophetic means confronting the powerful with a demand.
- Being prophetic means going public.
- Being prophetic means centering justice.
- Being prophetic can throw you into a thorny thicket, a briar patch.
- Being prophetic is a long-distance race.
As the Theologian-In-Residence for Ames United Church of Christ and as the United Church of...Read More