The Annual Campaigns page provides tips and resources for running an effective annual stewardship campaign in a congregation.
Resources for Annual Stewardship Campaigns
Cultivating Generous Congregations Seminar
Text: Can fundraising be ministry? Can stewardship be spiritual? The Cultivating Generous Congregations Seminar for pastors and lay leaders offers an opportunity to explore faithful, practical, and tested ways to promote generosity in our congregations. We will draw on current research, seek guidance from the wisdom of scripture, and discuss the best practices in church-based fundraising. Pastors and leaders participating in this program will be equipped to lead an effective stewardship campaign and, more broadly, help their congregation reclaim generosity as a spiritual practice. $300 for Two Leaders – additional spots in the seminar available at $150/person. Register or Learn More at https://cvent.me/VnEgLK.
Extravagant Generosity Videos
Andrew Warner created a series of videos designed to teach leaders the basics of effective annual stewardship campaigns. Because fundraising arises from our faith commitments, the series begins by looking at the spirituality of generosity through conversations with the national leaders of the UCC. Then, it looks at ways to express gratitude for people’s generosity. Lastly, the series turns to the practical elements of a campaign, such as giving a testimonial and creating a narrative budget. You can watch the videos as a series or singly. The videos on the spirituality of generosity might be useful as devotionals before a board or committee meeting.
1. Teaching and Thanking as Often as We Pass the Plate (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ePuonyVgk&ab_channel=UnitedChurchofChrist)
Step One: Generosity as a Spiritual Practice
2. Generosity as the Stewardship of Hope
3. Generosity: Stewardship of Values (https://youtu.be/Zkjf3MHWqTA)
4. Generosity as the Stewardship of Risk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ulKBDcep8&feature=youtu.be)
5. Generosity as the Stewardship of Gratitude (https://youtu.be/MEN5FG_wRdI)
Step Two: Offering Thanks
6. Saying Thank You (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-f97oReAV8&feature=youtu.be)
Step Three: Running an Effective Campaign
7. Developing a Year-Around Plan (https://youtu.be/002sYYftu7M)
8. “Why Pledge?” (https://youtu.be/SodguGl65i8)
9. Calendar for your Campaign (https://youtu.be/sDv2lxiOxdo)
10. Developing a Case Statement (https://youtu.be/SxCnlZgEsag)
11. Why Pastors Need to Know about Giving (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7NGkrcJryo&feature=youtu.be)
12. A “Message Map” for Testimonials (https://youtu.be/8hhw1Do_j78)
13. Developing a Narrative Budget (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co9UC4u4bt0&feature=youtu.be)
14. The Power of Asking (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAuSVP1cDbo&feature=youtu.be)
Stewardship Theme Materials
The 2021 materials use the theme of “Rooted in Love” (Ps. 1:3) to help congregations tell their story while making a request for financial support. The materials include everything needed to run an effective campaign. In addition to bulletin inserts, pledge cards and graphics, a campaign guide provides support for leaders running their first campaign and offers suggestions for those looking to customize stewardship messages to their own setting. Rooted in Love stewardship resources available for purchase for download. Printed materials are also available for purchase in a bundle or individually from UCC Resources.
This 118-page manual features 4 fundraising methods for the local church, including “Consecrating Stewards,” as well as chapters on the theological background on the motivation for giving and understanding mission. Available from UCC Resources at https://www.uccresources.com/products/inspiring-generosity-a-stewardship-resource-for-the-local-church-download?variant=1043684760