Updated September 18, 2018
At least 41 people are dead and 40 more missing and feared buried in a landslide in the Philippines due to Typhoon Mangkhut (local name Ompong), which continues to cause dangerous flooding even though it has now passed over. The dead include nine members of the United Church of Christ Philippines - eight of them rescue workers.
Staff of the UCCP North Luzon Jurisdiction report that Cagayan Valley, Ilocos and Cordillera regions have been badly affected by the super typhoon. Houses, agricultural livelihoods, business buildings and government infrastructures amounting to billions of pesos were destroyed. Power lines and communication towers were damaged. Thousands are in the evacuation centers until now.
Government agencies and some humanitarian groups are already giving food packs but they have not been able to reach all the victims in need. There are still many communities that are badly in need of foods. UCCP Conference Ministers have identified 2,450 families in 49 communities to be reached with relief distribution.
There is also a need to provide initial socioeconomic support to poor farmers. UCCP Conference Ministers have identified 49 communities that are in need of palay, corn and assorted vegetable seeds. In addition, the UCCP will give mortuary assistance to the deceased UCCP members' families and medical assistance to a member who was injured.
UCC Disaster Ministries is contributing an initial $12,000 for the United Church of Christ Philippines' response to the needs of families and communities in Luzon impacted by the typhoon. Funds are for food packets, medical and seed packets for livelihood restoration.
September 13, 2018 - ACT Alliance Alert
September 16, 2018 - UNOCHA Update
Ways to Help
- Pray for all impacted by disasters including those directly impacted, their families and friends. Pray for all those involved as first responders such as fire, police, and other emergency management professionals and volunteers.
- DO NOT collect “stuff” and/or attempt to ship material items to the impacted region(s). Click here to learn why cash is best.
- DO assemble Emergency Cleanup Buckets, Personal Hygiene Kits or School Kits. Click here to learn more.
- Click Here to download "12 Ways To Support Disaster Survivors" for more ways to help.
- Make a gift to the Typhoon Mangkhut response
Mail your gift to the United Church of Christ
Attn: Financial Services
United Church of Christ
700 Prospect Ave. 6th Floor
Cleveland, OH 44115
Please write "Typhoon Mangkhut" in the memo line.