In August 2017, Hurricane Harvey made landfall as a Category 4 hurricane, bringing torrential rains and devastating flooding to Texas, leaving 900,000 people in need. Among those hit hardest - renters in already economically precarious Port Arthur.
The Southeast Texas Community Development Corporation (SETCDC) has provided low-income housing for more than 30 years, but now is facing tremendous difficulties related to property repair, since Hurricane Harvey flooded 17 of SETCDC's 19 units with two feet of water. As a result, the residents - who were already struggling to secure basic needs and services - were displaced, and much of their personal property was destroyed.
By providing SETCDC with the resources necessary for an adequate repair/rebuild, UCC Disaster Ministries hopes to empower the corporation and tenants and build long-term relationships of care and support for the community.
Project focus/work: Volunteers will be helping to repair homes for low income renters who were displaced by the floods. Work may include but will not be limited to light carpentry, drywall, insulation, flooring, trim and painting.
- Adult to Youth Ratio: 1:4 Each group should include a ratio of at least 1 adult to every 4 youths (age 16 and older only, please).
- Time: Open for volunteers beginning in February 2018. Arrive Sunday afternoon and depart Saturday morning. Work: Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Group size: 12 maximum
- Accommodations: Volunteers will stay in a large, newly renovated house located in Beaumont, Texas. Beds and/or cots and kitchen access provided. Groups bring own bedding and prepare own meals. Volunteers will be expected to share shower and bathroom facilities.
- Tools: Tool trailers will be on site for use by volunteer groups. Volunteers are welcome to bring personal tools if they so choose.
- Meals: The volunteer house has a full kitchen that can be used by groups. Additionally, there is a large variety of restaurants within a short drive.
- Lodging for volunteers is FREE! Volunteers receive a free UCC Disaster Ministries t-shirt.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and to schedule your team.
Your donations to UCC One Great Hour of Sharing® help make this recovery possible.