2013-2015 World AIDS Day theme:
Getting to ZERO
Zero new infections
Zero AIDS-related deaths
Zero stigma and discrimination
Although its official annual observance is December 1,
each day a person in the world is living with AIDS is a World AIDS Day.
World AIDS Day is an important occasion for building awareness and stepping-up our responses to the HIV/AIDS pandemic in our own communities and around the world. Yes, there have been significant medical advances and more people are on treatment than ever before. Still, the scale of response is not meeting the need for treatment, prevention, care and support.
The importance of the whole church engaging in HIV response has never been more critical. As never before, there is a path to ending the epidemic in our lifetime. The implementation of the 27th General Synod's resolution, "Calling for Comprehensive HIV Prevention in Church and Community," is the road map for the UCC, inviting the whole church to be faithful to do all it can.
As you plan for this global observance, please use the following resources, adapting them according to the needs of your particular context.
- 2014 Liturgy from the Ecumenical Advocacy Alliance
- Worship Ways Litany
- Prayer for Holistic Healing
- HIV-AIDS Advent Calendar
- World AIDS Day Resources from the Ecumenical Advocacy Alliance
- Church World Service HIV/AIDS Worship Resources
- Liturgy on "Zero Discrimination" prepared by representatives of the committee for Ethics, Theology and HIV and AIDS of Action against AIDS - Germany
Global Ministries - Projects, Stories, Resources
Global Ministries is the common witness of the United Church of Christ and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) responsible for nurturing relationships with international partners on behalf of Disciples and the UCC.
- World AIDS Day Report 2014 (Lots of good facts and statistics)
- Fast Track Report on Ending the AIDS epidemic by 2030
- UNAIDS Infographics
- UNAIDS Epidemiology slides
- UNAIDS Strategy - Getting to Zero
- US CDC HIV/AIDS Fact Sheets
- Kaiser Family Foundation on HIV/AIDS
- Global HIV Timeline
- Slide Show/Power Point Data on HIV/AIDS
- AIDS.gov - World AIDS Day
- Facing AIDS: http://facing.aids.gov/
- Light for Rights: http://www.lightforrights.org
- World AIDS Day Resources 2007-2010
- UCC HIV and AIDS Publications PDF
- Links to other HIV and AIDS resources and organizations
- 2013 UCAN World AIDS Day Announcement
UCAN is an independent 501c3 organization affiliated with the United Church of Christ. We rely on the grace and generosity of those who share our mission to provide effective HIV prevention, as well as, spiritual outreach services to care for those living with and affected by HIV and AIDS. Please consider making a donation today by clicking on donate below.
Rev. Michael Schuenemeyer, Executive Director
UCAN Inc., 700 Prospect Ave E., Cleveland, Ohio 44115-1100