Although its official annual observance is December 1,
each day a person in the world is living with HIV is a World AIDS Day.
Getting to ZERO
Zero new infections
Zero AIDS-related deaths
Zero stigma and discrimination
The need for increased HIV response is urgent. We are in a 5-year window for ending the HIV epidemic as a public health threat. Taking advantage of this window of opportunity will make a world of difference. According to UNAIDS, "Front-loading investments in the fragile five-year window up to 2020 could reduce new HIV infections by 89% and AIDS-related deaths by 81% by 2030." If we stay the current course, and fail to fast-track the response, we stand to lose the gains we've made with devastating consequences to the health and lives of millions of people the world over. There can be no clearer or compelling moral imperative for people of faith.
The time to act is now!
The time to scale-up our response is now!
The importance of the whole church engaging in HIV response has never been more critical. As never before, there is a path to ending the epidemic in our lifetime. The implementation of the 27th General Synod's resolution, "Calling for Comprehensive HIV Prevention in Church and Community," is the road map for the UCC, inviting the whole church to be faithful to do all it can.
As you plan for this global observance, please use the following resources, adapting them according to the needs of your particular context.
- 2015 Liturgy from the Ecumenical Advocacy Alliance
- Worship Ways Litany
- Prayer for Holistic Healing
- HIV-AIDS Advent Calendar
- World AIDS Day Resources from the Ecumenical Advocacy Alliance
- Church World Service HIV/AIDS Worship Resources
- Liturgy on "Zero Discrimination" prepared by representatives of the committee for Ethics, Theology and HIV and AIDS of Action against AIDS - Germany
Global Ministries - Projects, Stories, Resources
Global Ministries is the common witness of the United Church of Christ and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) responsible for nurturing relationships with international partners on behalf of Disciples and the UCC.
TheBody.com continues to be among the best for a wide-range of HIV information.
- UNAIDS 2016-2021 Strategy
- Fast Track - Ending the AIDS epidemic by 2030
- UNAIDS Infographics
- UNAIDS Resources - Documents
- US CDC HIV/AIDS Fact Sheets
- Kaiser Family Foundation on HIV/AIDS
- Global HIV Timeline
- Slide Show/Power Point Data on HIV/AIDS
- AIDS.gov - World AIDS Day
- Facing AIDS: http://facing.aids.gov/
- Light for Rights: http://www.lightforrights.org
- 2014 Liturgy from the Ecumenical Advocacy Alliance
- UNAIDS Global Report 2014
- World AIDS Day 2014
- UNAIDS Strategy - Getting to Zero
- World AIDS Day Resources 2007-2010
- UCC HIV and AIDS Publications PDF
- Links to other HIV and AIDS resources and organizations
- 2013 UCAN World AIDS Day Announcement