Multiple wildfires broke out in California this fall and spread rapidly due in large part to dry conditions and high winds.
The disaster by the numbers:
- more than a dozen major wildfires
- more than 40 confirmed dead
- nearly 100,000 ordered to evacuate
- more than 217,000 acres have burned
- more than 5,700 structures including thousands of homes have been destroyed
- more than $3 billion in damage
California Governor Jerry Brown said: "This is truly one of the greatest, if not the greatest tragedy that California has ever faced," Gov. Jerry Brown said. "The devastation is just unbelievable, is a horror that no one could have imagined."