Refugee and Asylum Ministries
“Now we are in different place, different culture, different everything.” Shaymaa, Iraqi refugee resettled in Pennsylvania
Since 1946, the United Church of Christ and its congregations have played an active role in welcoming resettled refugee families to our cities, neighborhoods and churches. We’ve furnished their new homes, stocked their kitchens and accompanied parents and their children to the myriad appointments involved in putting down roots in a new place.
Around the world, the UCC supports local communities that welcome people fleeing the effects of war, violence, persecution and political disruption – whether those people are displaced within their country of origin or across a border into a neighboring country. This helps strengthen a delicate social balance for the well-being of all.
Finally, the UCC is present in the halls of Congress, working to protect the U.S. refugee resettlement program, advocate for the rights of refugees and asylum seekers and work for world peace.
The United Church of Christ offers many opportunities to accompany refugees, including:
- Church participation as welcome teams and volunteers with refugee resettlement offices across the United States.
- Financial support through One Great Hour of Sharing for service to refugees, asylum seekers and asylees in the United States and worldwide.
- Serving as UCC Partners in Service volunteers with refugee resettlement agencies and United States’ partner organizations serving asylum seekers.
- As Global Ministries (Disciples//UCC), serving as volunteers and Global Mission Interns with partner churches and organizations serving refugees internationally.
- Joining our Washington, D.C., public policy team in support of the Gospel call to “welcome the stranger” (Matthew 25:35).
- Getting involved with your local office of any of the nine national refugee resettlement networks.
- Giving financial and organizational support of specific refugee emergencies around the world.
Contact bairdj @ ucc.org (no spaces) for more information.