Divest from Fossil Fuels
6) Divest from fossil fuels and move church money out of “dirty” banks
- In 2013, the United Church of Christ became the first denomination to pass a resolution endorsing both divestment from fossil fuel companies and other strategies such as shareholder activism. Learn more about divesting.
- In addition to where churches invest their money, there is also the matter of the banks in which churches keep money that is not invested. As part of the rise in awareness generated by the Standing Rock Movement, members of Northshore United Church of Christ in Washington built upon their own experiences in moving their money and created The Find a Better Bank Toolkit to assist other churches in doing the same.
- Consider moving beyond divestment from fossil fuels to investment in renewables. Desmond Tutu addresses this and more in a piece entitled “Climate Change Is the Apartheid of Our Times.”
Categories: 10 Ways to Mobilize
Tell Your Story!
10) Throughout the process of mobilizing, tell your story! Make what you do visible at your...Read More
Become a Kairos Mobilization Hub
9) Become a kairos mobilization hub. Create ways to inspire church members to connect what they do...Read More
Call on Officials for Green New Deal
8) Through town halls, delegations, candidate forums, emails, and petitions, call upon elected...Read More