UCC Disaster Recovery through Indiana-Kentucky Conference, UCC in Magoffin County, Kentucky
In March 2012, EF2 &EF3 tornadoes hit Magoffin, Menifee, Morgan, and Laurel counties in eastern Kentucky. Communities experienced loss of life and property. The National Weather Service said at the time it was the hardest storms to hit eastern Kentucky in 25 years. Disaster recovery repair and rebuilding continue in this high poverty area that has received little attention from media or public.
The United Church of Christ Indiana-Kentucky Conference is organizing mission work camps in Magoffin County throughout the summer of 2013. YOUR roup is needed.
Contact: John Gantt
Address: 401 Shady Lane, Greenwood, IN 46142
Work Needed: Repair/Rebuild homes after March 2012 tornadoes
Time: Summer 2013. Groups typically arrive Sunday evening for orientation and settling in. Work ends on Friday or Saturday. Shorter weeks are available.
- June 16-22, 2013
- June 23 - 29, 2013
- July 14 - 20, 2013
- July 21 - 27, 2013
- August 4 - 10, 2013
Group Size: 20 maximum
Minimum Age: 16 years
Accommodations: Group lodging, showers, and a well-equipped kitchen are provided at a local church. Host and construction support are provided by the Indiana-Kentucky Conference.
Tools: Groups should bring standard carpentry tools (hammers and cordless screw drivers, etc.)
Cost: $90/person/week; $20/person/up to three nights
- Preparation for the trip: "Mission Trips That Matter" by Don C. Richter, Upper Room Books
- On-Site Reflection: "Meeting God in the Ruins: Devotions for Disaster Volunteers" Free copies may be ordered from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America by calling 800.638.3522 ext. 2580 (ISBN 6-0001-6788-1); pay shipping only.
- Follow-Up Action: Help your local community prepare for possible disaster and response. Be sure your congregation has a plan in case of local disaster (View sample plan). Get to know your UCC Conference Disaster Coordinator and stay involved.
- UCC Mission Trip Opportunities
- Apply to be a long-term volunteer. UCC Partners in Service (one month - 12 months)
UCC Identity: UCC Disaster Recovery T-shirts available for purchase from United Church of Christ Resources 800.537.3394 or click HERE. Cost of t-shirt: $7.00 + shipping and handling.