UCC Disaster Recovery in Southeastern Vermont (Windham County)
In partnership with Southeaster Vermont Irene Long-Term Recovery Committee and Housing in local UCC church
Your group can help people rebuild lives and properties.
Contact: Pam Small, UCC Disaster Ministries' Registrar
Phone: 812.453.3995 (Cell)
Work Needed: Long-Term Disaster recovery from Hurricane Irene and Tropical storm Lee in September of 2011. Projects include home repair and rebuilding. Note: currently needing light construction and home clean out.
Time: Beginning July 2012 through September 2012. Arrive on Sunday afternoon and depart Saturday morning. Work Monday - Friday.
Accommodations: Housing provided in local United Church of Christ congregations fro groups 12-15 people. UCC Registrar will make arrangements for your group upon receiving your on-line registration. Bathrooms, showers and access to kitchen facilities and utensils are available. Groups need to bring sleeping bags or air mattresses; and linens.
Cost: $50 per person per week to the host church providing accommodations to help offset costs of utilities and maintenance. Costs for building materials and tools, and construction supervision provided through Long-Term Recovery Committee partners. Your donations to One Great Hour of Sharing® help make possible the local work of the Long-Term Recovery Committee.
Minimum Age: 16 years. Volunteers under age 18 have specific waiver forms requiring parent/guardian signature.
Adult to Youth Ratio: 1:5
- Preparation for the trip: "Mission Trips That Matter" by Don C. Richter, Upper Room Books.
- On-Site Reflection: "Meeting God in the Ruins: Devotions for Disaster Volunteers" Free copies may be ordered from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America by calling 800.638.3522 ext. 2580 (ISBN 6-0001-6788-1); pay shipping only.
- Follow-Up Action: Help your local community prepare for possible disaster and response. Be sure your local congregation has a plan in case of local disaster (View Sample Plan). Get to know your UCC Conference Disaster Coordinator and stay involved.
UCC Identity: UCC Disaster Recovery T-shirts available for purchase from United Church of Christ Resources 800.537-3394 or www.ucc.org/under "Buy It" cost of the t-shirt: $7.00 + shipping and handling.
Forms you will need once you have registered your group for a mission trip to Vermont.
- Waiver (all) United Church of Christ
- Waiver (Under 18 years) United Church of Christ
- Skill Assessment Sheet
|CHURCH/ORGANIZATION INFORMATION||For informational purposes.|
|Church Postal Code|
|CONTACT PERSON||(person completing form)|
|Address Line 1|
|Address Line 2|
|State and Postal Code|
|Expected Group Size|
|1st Choice Dates:||2nd Choice Dates:|
|July 15 - July 21, 2012July 22 - July 28, 2012July 29 - August 4, 2012August 5 - August 11, 2012August 12 - August 18, 2012August 19 - August 25, 2012August 26 - September 1, 2012||July 15 - July 21, 2012July 22 - July 28, 2012July 29 - August 4, 2012August 5 - August 11, 2012August 12 - August 18, 2012August 19 - August 25, 2012August 26 - September 1, 2012|