UCC Disaster Recovery in Up-State New York (Binghamton)
with Broome County Long-Term Recovery Committee and Housing in local UCC church
View footage of the water damage in Binghamton, New York.
Your group can help people rebuild lives and properties.
Work Needed: Long-Term Disaster recovery from Tropical Storm Lee and flooding in September of 2011. Projects include home repair and rebuilding.
Time: Long Term recovery work continues in 2013. Arrive Sunday afternoon and depart Saturday morning. Work Monday - Friday.
Accommodations: Housing provided in local United Church of Christ congregations for groups under 15. Groups of 15-20 people may be housed in other area churches. UCC Registrar will make arrangements for your group upon receiving your on-line registration. bathrooms, showers and access to kitchen facilities and utensils are available.
Cost: $50 per person per week to the host church providing accommodations to help offset costs of utilities and maintenance. Costs for building materials and tools, and construction supervision provided through Binghampton local partners. Your donations to One Great Hour of Sharing® help make possible the local work of the Long-Term Recovery Committee.
Minimum Age: 16 years. Volunteers under age 16 with parent present on-site may be considered. Volunteers under age 18 have specific waiver forms requiring parent/guardian signature.
Adult to Youth Ratio: 1:5
- Preparation for the trip: "Mission Trips That Matter" by Don C. Richter, Upper Room Books.
- On-Site Reflection: "Meeting God in the Ruins: Devotions for Disaster Volunteers" Free copies may be ordered from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America by calling 800.638.3522 ext. 2580 (ISBN 6-0001-6788-1); pay shipping only.
- Follow-Up Action: Help your local community prepare for possible disaster and response. be sure your local congregation has a plan in case of local disaster (View sample plan). get to know your UCC Conference Disaster Coordinator and stay involved.
UCC Identity: UCC Disaster Recovery T-shirts available for purchase from United Church of Christ Resources 800.537.3394 or click HERE. Cost of t-shirt: $7.00 + shipping and handling.
Forms you will need once you have registered your group for a mission trip to Binghamton, NY
- Waiver (all) United Church of Christ
- Waiver (Under 18 years) United Church of Christ
- Skill Assessment Sheet