General Synod Service and Immersion Projects
Add to your General Synod Registration (you'll need your confirmation number) at www.ucc.org/synod
Demonstrate the serving presence of the United Church of Christ while in Long Beach. Engage in the General Synod's Service and Immersion Projects.
Border Immersion Experience hosted by CYYAM (Council for Youth and Young Adult Ministries)
This is an all-day event. Pre-Registered and pre-paid participants will depart Saturday, June 29th at 6:30 a.m. from the Convention Center bus around-about and return around 8:00 p.m. See signage at Convention Hall C. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
Participants will experience the U.S. - Mexico border through the ministries of the UCC's Centro Romero Center - an immersion center of Justice and Witness Ministries. Members of CYYAM will lead reflection on issues encountered. This is an intergenerational event.
- Blood Drive - Location: Convention Center Room 203A
Friday, June 28th 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, June 29th 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Learn of advocacy efforts with government agencies about who is allowed to donate blood. Help the UCC General Synod to meet a goal of at least 100 pints donated during this 2-day drive.
- Beach Walk & Clean-Up Saturday, June 29th afternoon during the Celebration on the Marina Green. Pick up your trash bag at Beach Clean-Up Station. Participants will walk the beach front for exercise and practice environmental stewardship by picking up trash. No registration needed.
- Service and Immersion Projects - Saturday, June 29th - Afternoon All-Project Orientation and Commissioning begins immediately after the Saturday morning plenary approximately 11:30 a.m. in Youth Room. Convention Hall C.
- Pre-registration and payment is required. Boxed lunches are provided.
- Each experience includes hands-on service opportunities, reflection, and ideas for follow-up and further commitment.
- Participants will return to the Convention Center approximately 4:00 p.m.
- Project - Food Bank Participants will assist with food distribution and learn of the network of systems in place to address hunger and advocate for food sustainability. Wear closed-toed shoes.
- Project - Homeless Veterans Participants will engage with national model program for the homeless in Long Beach. WEar closed-toed shoes.
- Project - Prison Visitation Participants will visit the Terminal Island Federal Correctional Institution located in San Pedro, CA near Long Beach. The experience will include a tour by prison officials, conversation with volunteers who visit as part of the UCC-supported 'Prisoner Visitation and Support Program", and informal discussion of criminal justice and human rights.
- Project - Retirement Communities Visit facilities of the Retirement Housing Foundation (RHF) in the Long Beach area. The Retirement Housing Foundation is part of the UCC's Council for Health and Human Service Ministries with a focus on affordable housing. Participants will join outreach projects of residents of these retirement communities.