The Bible is the favorite book of all time for American adults, regardless of demographic group, according to a new 2008 Harris Interactive Poll.
Researchers said it's rare to find such consensus among Americans, regardless of gender, education level, geographic location, race/ethnicity or age. Yet, more than 2,500 Americans surveyed in an online poll agreed that the Bible is their No. 1 favorite book.
The poll also found that political affiliation did not affect novel preference -- Republicans, Democrats and Independents alike agreed on The Bible and "Gone With the Wind" as their top two favorite books.
According to the survey, America's favorite books are:
1. "The Bible"
2. "Gone With the Wind," by Margaret Mitchell
3. "Lord of the Rings" (series), by J.R.R. Tolkien
4. "Harry Potter" (series), by J.K. Rowling
5. "The Stand," by Stephen King
6. "The Da Vinci Code," by Dan Brown
7. "To Kill a Mockingbird," by Harper Lee
8. "Angels and Demons," by Dan Brown
9. "Atlas Shrugged," by Ayn Rand
10. "Catcher in the Rye," by J.D. Salinger