Serves 50 (3 Gallons)
Cook in heavy 5 gallon stock pot
3 qt. (6 lb.) chopped canned clams
water (as necessary)
2 qt. diced fresh white potatoes
8 oz diced bacon
1 qt chopped onion
1 1/2 cup (3 sticks) butter or margarine
2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 qt nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 gallons hot water
3 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1. Drain clams and save for use in step 4. Add water to clam juice to
yield 1 gallon liquid. Put liquid and potatoes in stock pot. Cover and
simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
2. Fry bacon in heavy frying pan over low heat, stirring frequently, until
bacon is crisp. Remove bacon to stock pot with a slotted spoon.
3. Fry onions in bacon fat over moderate heat, stirring occasionally,
until onions are golden. Add butter or margarine to onions; stir over low
heat until melted; add flour and cook and stir until smooth. Cool.
4. Blend dry milk into water and add with clams to potatoes. Add flour
mixture to chowder. Cook and stir over moderate heat until smooth. Reduce
heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes longer to allow
chowder to thicken and develop flavor.
5. Add salt and pepper to chowder and serve hot.