Sample Pastoral Letter
November 14, 2012
This year, the theme for One Great Hour of Sharing, "Sharing Brings Joy," concludes our three year emphasis by focusing on God.
Scripture helps us understand how in our sharing - God is made glad:
• steadfast love, justice, and righteousness (Jeremiah 9:24)
• the well-being of God's people (psalms 35:27B)
• a generous hand outstretched to help another (Matthew 22:37-40)
• a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:7)
God knows joy when we take actions that restore the well-being of God's children everywhere. When we reach out to others with helping hands, we share love and justice with our brothers and sisters, with whom we are one. God loves our joyful attitude when we share from our abundance!
The gifts made real by our support are transformed into gifts of love, joy and restoration, as:
• families displaced by natural disaster or political unrest are comforted by food, shelter and a safe place to begin rebuilding their lives.
• worried mothers caring for their children in times of food insecurity; are transformed to deep peace when sustenance arrives.
• a woman who has had to walk for miles for potable water smiles as she draws fresh water from the new well placed in her community near her home.
As you make your offering to One Great Hour of Sharing this year, remember the numerous ways your gifts bring joy - to you, to all of God's cherished children, and especially to the Holy One. Share cheerfully and abundantly, knowing that you are not only sharing your resources, you are helping to change lives.
May God be made glad by your cheerful generosity!
Ms. Susan M. Sanders
Minister and Team Leader
700 Prospect Ave.
Ms. Phyllis Y. Richards
Program Associate, Wider Church Ministries
700 Prospect Ave.