Don’t miss this at NYE!
Written by Anthony Moujaes
July 6, 2012
So you're headed to Purdue University next week for the National Youth Event. Much to take in, and just four days to see and do. While you can chart your participation with the calendar of events on the NYE website, we compiled a quick checklist –– a Top10 list of people, projects and activities you don’t want to miss.
- Faith, Service & Justice Projects: Get out, get involved and volunteer for community projects in the area by picking one event in which to participate. Just be sure you already sent in the mandatory waivers and don’t forget you must attend orientation!
When: 12:15-4:15 p.m. Wednesday, July 11 and Thursday, July 12.
- J.R. Martinez speech and workshop: A motivational speaker after he was injured serving in Iraq, J.R. Martinez has toured the country to share his message of determination. Martinez is one of a dozen speakers at NYE. He’s appeared on the ABC soap opera All My Children, The Oprah Winfrey Show, 60 Minutes, The View, CNN, Good Morning America and a number of other major news outlets. He’s also a Dancing with the Stars champion. Martinez will also host a workshop, Paying It Forward, which has limited space.
When and Where: Speech at 10 a.m. at Elliot Hall; Workshop 2:15-3:15 p.m. at Fowler Hall. Both are Thursday, July 12.
- All Strings Jam Session: We need strings for a Thursday evening concert, so if you play an acoustic, electric or bass guitar, bring it with you and jam with us to the music of Lady Gaga and John Mayer. We even have workshops, sound checks and rehearsals scheduled. But you can’t just wing it: No rehearsal, no performance.
When and Where: Classes, rehearsal and sound check from 2:15-4:30 p.m. Thursday, July 12, Elliot Hall; Performance and Worship at 7 p.m.
- Youth Rock Out: Concert performances by artists Climbing PoeTree and Rhema Soul promise to be innovating and exciting. And bring a blanket, because we’ll be seated outdoors.
When and Where: 9 p.m. Thursday, July 12, Slayter Hill.
- Ministry community workshops: Since youth expressed a desire to connect with the wider church to learn about leadership roles in the UCC’s settings, these Faith,In Community Sessions – there are 20-plus total – were arranged to allow young people to interact with UCC Conference Ministers. It’s a dialogue of common interests, a way to serve and act as part of a wider network sharing in faith and ministry.
When and Where: 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Friday, July 13 at various locations.
- Fit, Faith, Fun Extravaganza: The Fit, Faith, Fun Extravaganza is a blend of music and entertainment, exercises for a healthy mind and soul, and a way to love God by loving ourselves. There’s yoga and Tai Chi, dancing and karaoke, and much more.
When and Where: 2:15-4:30 p.m. Friday, July 13, Memorial Hall.
- Closing Worship, Communion and Commissioning: It’s time to proclaim your love for your community, so join fellow Christians in the Faith,In project. You’ll be pledging your faith in Cleveland, SoCal, Connecticut or wherever you’re from. What ideas will you take back and share with your community? Learn more at FaithInProject.com. And bring that blanket you used Thursday night at the Youth Rock Out. You’ll need it for Communion.
When and Where: 7-8:15 p.m. Friday, July 13, Slayter Hill.
- Literacy Labyrinth: Make a little more room and pack a book in your suitcase right now.
NYE 2012 is partnering with a literacy campaign called Acts of Love with the goal of collecting at least 2,000 books (fiction, non-fiction, academic, etc.) to distribute to schools and libraries.
When and Where: The Literacy Labyrinth is open during exhibit hours during NYE at the Purdue Memorial Union.
- Youth Speakers: Six youths from across the country – Carissa Yinmed, Zach Komes, Diego Torres, Miah Noel Yager, Yamni Bobtail Bear, and Lonna Andrews– represent diversity and inclusivity. Each will speak on a personal experience as they relate to the NYE theme "Imagine."
When and Where: Yinmed, 7-8:15 p.m. Tuesday, July 10; Komes, 9:45-11 a.m. Wednesday, July 11; Torres, 9:45-11 a.m. Thursday, July 12; Yager, 9:45-11 a.m. Friday, July 13; Bear and Andrews, 7:00-8:15 p.m., Friday July 13. All morning sessions are at Elliot Hall, with the Friday evening worship at Slayter Hill.
- Get social: You can tweet members of the UCC Collegium – that’s the word to describe the five national officers who collectively lead the UCC – using the handle @TheUCCYouth and the hashtags #UCCBen, #UCCMark, #UCCLinda, #UCCJim and #UCCGeoffrey and join the Rev. Geoffrey Black, the UCC’s general minister and president, as he leads a Twitter Town Hall.
When and Where: W. Mark Clark, Tuesday afternoon; the Rev. Linda Jaramillo, Wednesday; the Rev. James Moos, Thursday morning; the Rev. J. Bennett Guess, Friday morning; the Rev. Geoffrey Black, Friday afternoon; Twitter Town Hall from 9:45-11 a.m. Friday, July 13, Elliot Hall.
Mr. Anthony Moujaes
UC News Coordinator
Publishing, Identity, and Communication
Local Church Ministries/Office of General Ministries
700 Prospect Ave.