Ministry Issues: Forming and Preparing Pastoral Leaders for God's Church.
"Preparing to vote on constitutional changes? Follow this link to background information and proposed language."
The Ministry Issues Pronouncement voted at General Synod 25 in 2005 seeks to address the needs of the UCC for well prepared and faithful ministerial leadership for God's mission in the world both now and in the future. In order to have such well prepared leaders able to engage with a geographically and economically diverse, multicultural, multiracial church, it is necessary:
· to expand our definition of learnedness and leadership
· to provide multiple means for persons to be formed and prepared for authorized ministry in the UCC
In order to do this, we must pay attention to:
· our theologies of ministry
· our understanding and practice of licensed ministry
· how we engage in deep and authentic discernment of both call and gifts for ministry
· how we help form leaders with an abiding identity and affinity with the UCC
On this website you will find the essential documents, including the Pronouncement, that have been developed to date. They have all been designed to assist the Church in our common calling to identify, nurture, prepare, authorize and maintain covenant with ministers for this denomination.