Committee on the Ministry Toolkit
A Comprehensive Ministry Resource for Committees on the Ministry
A User's Guide
The User's Guide is for use primarily by persons such as Conference and Association staff or others who provide committee leadership and are involved in the training and orientation of Committee on the Ministry members.
The User's Guide is also helpful to committee members engaged in individual preparation and study for the purpose of gaining knowledge and more in-depth understanding of the role of committee members.
The Committee on the Ministry Toolkit is available both on CD from Conference and Association offices and here in Web format. The purpose of the Toolkit is to:
- Provide a comprehensive tool for the orientation and training of new and renewing Committee on the Ministry members;
- Assist committee members in their individual efforts to understand the scope and breath of the ministry they have been called to in and on behalf of the church;
- Offer an interactive resource that engages participants in a variety of activities to introduce and broaden committee members' knowledge and understanding of the ministry they are called to perform, in and on behalf of the United Church of Christ.
The Toolkit consists of four key components:
- PowerPoint Presentation consisting of 115 color slides with commentary;
- Presentation Leader's Guide for use with the PowerPoint presentation;
- Facilitator Resource with detailed information on each of the eight units;
- Committee Handouts for each unit.
Key UCC Reference Resources are provided to support the work of the committee:
- Supplementary Materials that include scriptural reflections and case studies;
- Supplementary Forms important to the committee's work;
- PDF Links to key resources (Manual On Ministry, Manual on Church, UCC Constitution and ByLaws).
As you consider the most productive use of this resource with your committee/s, we recommend that you consider using the Committee on the Ministry Toolkit in the following ways:
- Retreat settings that enable a complete overview of the resource and allow for in-depth committee discussion about the total work of the committee;
- Regularly scheduled meetings of the committee where you can engage the committee in discussion of one (or more) aspects of the work. The material is arranged in units making it easier to focus on particular aspects of your work in manageable sessions.
- Immediate resource in response to questions about any aspect of committee work.
Using the Resource
Review the materials in each of the folders and copy appropriate materials for use with the committee.
Step One: Open COM Toolkit unit(s) pertaining to your presentation.
Step Two: Open Presentation Leader's Guide for use with PowerPoint presentation.
Step Three: Open COM Toolkit PowerPoint presentation.
Step Four: Click on Slide Show–View Show to maximize screen and run presentation.
Step Five: Click on Links, where applicable, to access specific resource PDF file.
Utilizing the PDF Links
The PowerPoint Presentation and Facilitator Resource files contain clickable icon links to UCC Resources such as the Manual on Ministry. In order to access the specific resource, place your mouse over the icon. When you see the hand pointer symbol, left-click your mouse. The UCC Resource will be opened in a new window in Adobe Acrobat Reader. When finished reviewing the document, simply minimize or close the window in order to return to the presentation or resource.
In the Supplementary Resources and Forms, the Table of Contents are clickable underlined links to the appropriate page/section within the document.
Note: Bookmarks in UCC Resource PDF documents are not active.