As a part of her initiative to reduce obesity in
children, First Lady Michelle Obama issued a challenge to faith and
community organizations to get members walking a collective three million miles across the nation. UCC participants took up the call and walked 258,596.36 miles! Thank you for your work!
Why did the UCC participating in the Three Million Walking Challenge?
The United Church of Christ joining First Lady Michelle Obama to reduce and/or eliminate childhood obesity and to call attention to the devastating affects of obesity in adults. The United Church of Christ boldly stepped up this challenge by asking all UCC churches to participate in this walking challenge throughout 2011.
Why Walking? (Adapted from AARP’s Walking Program Guide)
Research data shows that walking is the preferred type of activity. Walking briskly 30 minutes a day, five or more days a week, can reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, arthritis and some cancers. Walking:
- Promotes physical activity
- Boosts brain power
- Aids in long-lasting weight management
- Requires only a modest investment of time and money
- May lead to reduced insurance costs
- Creates an overall sense of well-being – mind, body and soul
|Guide to Setting Up Your Individual or Church Walking Program|
1. All UCC churches and/or individual members are invited to participate in this event. (Everyone is Welcome) You are asked to complete the electronic Registration Form or Fax your form to the attention of Ferne Clements (216) 736-3703. Register online here or download individual and church registration forms.
2. Each individual or church is asked to sign the pledge to help the United Church of Christ earn 600,000 miles by committing to walking at least 5 miles a week or 10,000 steps in Phase 1, in Phase 2 or both Phase 1 and Phase 2.
3. Our Walking program includes the following:
4. Individuals are asked to walk for 30 minutes a day or split this up into shorter sessions of two 15 minute walks or three 10 minute walks. Walking to the
bus or train stop also counts.
5. Individuals are asked to print out the attached form and record their weekly mileage or total steps.
7. Individuals and/or churches are to report their total miles or total steps for Phase I (January – June 24) and submit them to Ferne Clements via:
- Online Mileage Form
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: (216) 736-3703
- Mail: Ferne Clement, 700 Prospect Ave., Cleveland, OH 44115
Mileage and/or steps are to be reported for Phase II by MONDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2011. For more information call (216) 736-3708 or 3725.
8. Make it festive. Start with a Kick-Off Rally. If your congregation has a Faith Community Nurse, Health Minister and/or Health Ministry Team, include them in planning your “Kick-off” Rally and coordinating the walking program at your church.