More than nine million children under the age of 19 lack health coverage that is vitally important for ensuring that every child has a healthy start.
The UCC Justice and Witness Ministries continues to work for reauthorization of the State Children's Health Insurance Program, SCHIP to address the need for access for all children to quality health care that their families can afford. We all suffer when our children's lives are jeopardized by poor health and when some lack access to the medical care all of us should be able to expect.
The Justice and Witness Ministries Health Care Justice page addresses the issue of quality health care for all Americans, including children.
God Is Still Speaking About Children, a short UCC Children's Table resource, lifts up issues around children's health coverage, among other children's justice concerns.
Several national agencies provide resources for advocates working for health coverage for all children.
- The Children's Defense Fund has made its Healthy Child Campaign a priority for 2007.
- Families USA provides resources on its "Medicaid and Children's Health" page.
- Covering Kids and Families has organized a nationwide coalition working for expanded health coverage for children and families.
- The Kaiser Family Foundation maintains comprehensive resources on health care, including coverage for children.
- The Universal Health Care Action Network supports universal health care, including children's coverage.
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation's Kids Count Data Book examines the status of children's health state by state.
- Voices for America's Children maintains a webpage devoted to children's health policy.
The United Church of Christ actively supports efforts to discourage tobacco use by young people. We have been active in the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.