Faith Community Nurse/Health Ministry Resources
Publications and books
"UCC Faith Community Nurse Network: Linking and Touching Lives for Healing and Wholeness." An Informational Manual on Faith Community Nurse Ministry Within the United Church of Christ. Revised March 2013.
- Congregational Care and Cancer, The purpose of this resource is to orient you to some of the central questions and considerations that may emerge as you journey with those in your faith community affected by cancer. The PowerPoint slides and Handbook will guide you in leading group discussions.
"Congregational Health Ministries—Resource Packet". A guide for Congregations. Available from Health and Welfare Ministries, General Board of Global Ministries. The United Methodist Church.
"Lafiya—A Whole Person Health Ministry". Available from Brethren Press. 1451 Dundee Avenue, Elgin, IL 60120. 1-800-441-3712.
"Project LIFE—A Congregational Wellness Ministry". Available from 6901 North 72nd Street, Omaha, NE 68122. 402-572-2596.
"Wellness Ministry: A Partnership Program". Available from Community Outreach Pastoral Care Department, 2351 E. 22nd Street, Cleveland, OH 44114. 216-363-3311.
"Called to Care: A Notebook for Lay Caregivers". Available from United Church Resources, United Church of Christ, 800 North Third Street, St. Louis, MO 63101. 800-325-7061.
"How to Get the Church to Support and Perpetuate New Health and Human Service Interventions". Available from the Community Development and Training Center, PO Box 712, Carrboro, NC 27510-0712. 919-929-4527.
- "Parish Nursing: Promoting Whole Person Health Within Faith Communities". Edited by Phillis Ann Solari-Twadell and Mary Ann McDermott. Available from SAGE Publications, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Deeply Woven Roots: Improving the Quality of Life in Your Community". Gary Gunderson. Available from Augsburg Fortress Publishers, Box 1209, Minneapolis, MN 55440.
- "Congregations Who Care: The Ministry of Health and Wholeness"—Video presents Parish Nursing as one style of congregational health ministry. Available from Office of Media Services and the Office of Health Ministries, Presbyterian Church USA, 100 Witherspoon Street, Louisville, KY 40202-1396, 1-800-325-9133 or 502-569-8100.
- "Life Abundant: Celebrating Health, Healing and Wholeness"—Presbyterian USA 1-800-325-9133.
- "Your Health Care: Too Soon to Compromise". Office of Communications, United Church of Christ, 700 Prospect Avenue, Cleveland, OH, 216-736-2222, Fax: 216-736-2223.
- "The Healing Team"—An Introduction to health ministry and parish nursing". Available from Health Ministries Association www.hmnassoc.org; email@example.com.
Health and Welfare Ministries
General Board of Global Ministries
The United Methodist Church
475 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10115-0122
1-800-UMC-GBGM or 1-800-862-4246
Provides resources and consultants to assist local churches, annual conferences, racial/ethnic caucuses, and other United Methodist Programs.
The Interfaith Health Program
Rollins School of Public Health of Emory University
750 Commerce Street, Suite #301
Decatur, GA 30030
A program focusing on a broad range of activities challenging faith groups to explore opportunities in health, especially through collaboration.
Church Health Center
Maureen Daniels, RN, MN
Faith Community Nursing Specialist
1210 Peabody Avenue
Phone: (901) 305-9090
Worldwide training and support network for faith community nurses.
Health Ministries Association
P.O. Box 60042
Dayton, OH 45406
A national support network for all health professionals who are people of faith and promote whole-person health through places of worship and in the communities they serve. The professional organization for Faith Community Nurses.
American Nurses Publishing
600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Suite 100 West
Washington, DC 20024-2571