UCC Disaster Recovery In Atlantic City, New Jersey
with the Fuller Center for Housing
Opportunities are now available for your volunteer group to accompany people in this long-term recovery.
Fuller Center for Housing in Atlantic City
Contact: Sharon Tarver Phone: 229.924.2900
Work Needed: Rebuilding of owner-occupied homes with first floor rental unites in Atlantic City, NJ.
Time: Through 2014. Work week: Monday - Friday
Group Size: 2-72
Accommodations: Housing provided at at the Volunteer Center of the Atlantic City Long Term Recovery Group in Atlantic City. Groups provide own food and bedding.
Cost: $160.00 per person for one week. (or $30-$35/person/day for shorter trips) Fee includes lodging and supplemental insurance.
- Costs for building materials and tools, and construction supervision provided through the local committee. Your donations to UCC One Great Hour of Sharing® the UCC Spring Storms Appeal, and Disciples Week of Compassion help make possible the local work of the Long-Term Recovery Committee and group housing.
Minimum Age: 16+ (14+ with some work limitations)
Adult to Youth Ratio: 1:6
Ration of Skilled to Unskilled Construction Volunteers: 1:4 In this rebuilding stage, it is helpful for groups to include people with construction experience who can serve in a supervisory role as needed.
- Preparation for the Trip: "Mission Trips That Matter" by Don C. Richter, Upper Room Books.
- On-Site Reflection: "Meeting God in the Ruins: Devotions for Disaster Volunteers" Copies will be provided at group housing site. Additional free copies may be ordered from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America by calling 800.638.3522 ext. 2580.
- Follow Up Action:
- Help your local community prepare for possible disaster and response. Encourage your local congregation to develop a plan in case of local disaster. (View sample plan)
- Get to know your UCC Conference Disaster Coordinator and stay involved.
- UCC Mission Trip Opportunities
- Apply to be a long-term volunteer. UCC Partners in Service (one month - 12 months)