May 20, 2008
Cyclone Nargis leaves over 22,000 dead and one million homeless in Myanmar. UCC/OGHS opens appeal for $100,000.
ACT Members Mobilize Support
Update from Christian Conference of Asia
Getting the Aid In!
A Poem for Myanmar (Burma)
A slideshow of recovery efforts by UCC Partner, CWS, with commentary by Stacey Wilson/CWS, Bangkok, Thailand.
It is feared that up to 100,000 have died. An estimated one million people are also reportedly homeless and in dire need of emergency help.
There are thousands of human and animal bodies still scattered across the affected area. This is adding to concerns that the lives of survivors are increasingly at risk of disease.
Food shortages will also be a major problem throughout the country over the coming months as rice paddies have been inundated with saltwater.
In the longer term there will be the need to rebuild houses, create early warning systems and improve infrastructure that can withstand cyclones.
Despite concerns over the Myanmar government limiting access to aid agencies, your donations will make a difference on the ground:
A Church World Service regional coordinator is in Yangon, Myanmar conducting assessments and networking with four CWS local partners. CWS convened a coordinating meeting in Bangkok among key Action by Churches Together Alliance members who will be involved in the response.
Our ACT, International partners in India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Thailand have experienced disaster response staff ready to deploy in the week(s) to come. The Myanmar government is open to providing visas for persons from the region – so we are looking to Asian partners to be the "on the ground" folks helping to support the local Myanmar partners.
As we saw after the 2004 Tsunami, it will take many months, even years, to rebuild after a disaster of this scale.
One Great Hour of Sharing has already sent funds to local partners to carry out relief work. However, we urgently need to raise $100,000. Please give generously.
What your donation can do:
• $8 could provide water purification tablets for 10 people for one day (3 litres per person)
• $20 could provide a relief kit for a family that would include some food, water purification tablets and medicine
• $40 could help provide two relief packages containing water purification tablets, medicines and food
• $80 could pay for an early-warning system such as loudspeakers and flags for a community
• $200 could help pay towards materials for temporary shelters.
How to Help:
1. Pray for the people of Myanmar, their leaders and the humanitarian aid workers.
2. To assist impacted Myanmar families, you may, send gifts payable to your congregation marked for "UCC Myanmar Cyclone Fund" with the request they be sent through your Conference office on to Wider Church Ministries.
Send gifts, made out to Wider Church Ministries and marked in the memo portion "UCC Myanmar Cyclone Fund" to Wider Church Ministries; 700 Prospect Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115.
Make a secure online donation