August 26, 2011
Communities up and down the East coast of the United States are preparing for the weekend arrival of Hurricane Irene which is projected to come onshore in North Carolina.
This is a large and dangerous storm and all in Irene's projected path are urged to be cautious and heed warnings.
UCC Disaster Ministries is in regular contact with UCC Conference Disaster Coordinators and Conference Staff and will monitor the storm and resulting impact on communities throughout the weekend.
One Great Hour of Sharing emergency solidarity grants are already on their way to Global Ministries partners in the Dominican Republic and Haiti, where Hurricane Irene caused significant flood damage earlier this week. The Dominican Evangelical Church Emergency Committee and regional CONASPEH Coordinating Teams are engaged in assessment and emergency response.
How You Can Help
1. Pray for the people and communities impacted by Hurricane Irene and all those who serve as first responder emergency personnel.
2. Make gifts payable to your congregation marked for Hurricane Relief, with the request they be sent through your Conference office on to United Church of Christ, Financial Services; 700 Prospect Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115.
3. Send gifts, payable to United Church of Christ and marked in the memo portion Hurricane Relief, to United Church of Christ, Financial Services; 700 Prospect Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115.
4. Make a secure on-line donation. Donate Now. Please note: Hurricane Relief in the Comments section.
5. Assemble Church World Service clean up and hygiene kits which are urgently needed.