August 29, 2011
Hurricane Irene leaves trail of destruction across 14 states. Clean up and recovery projected to take months.
Over the weekend, Hurricane Irene made its way across the Eastern Seaboard of the United States impacting 14 states. While the actual damage caused by the hurricane never reached the level many feared or predicted, many folks sustained serious damage in North Carolina, and areas across the Northeast are experiencing significant flooding. Millions are without power, rivers are still rising and the entire East Coast is tentatively making its way back to a "new normal."
UCC Disaster Ministries is currently working with Conference Ministers and Disaster Coordinators to assess needs in affected areas. A One Great Hour of Sharing emergency grant has already been sent to help provide cleanup and recovery for historic UCC Franklinton Center in Enfield, North Carolina.
UCC Partner Church World Service has provided affected areas with blankets, as well as hygiene and cleanup kits.
It is through your generosity that the UCC is able to respond quickly and efficiently.
How You Can Help
1. Pray for the people and communities impacted by Hurricane Irene and all those who serve as first responder emergency personnel.
2. Make gifts payable to your congregation marked for Hurricane Relief, with the request they be sent through your Conference office on to United Church of Christ, Financial Services, 700 Prospect Avenue E, Cleveland, OH 44115.
3. Send gifts, payable to United Church of Christ and marked in the memo portion Hurricane Relief, to United Church of Christ, Financial Services, 700 Prospect Avenue E, Cleveland, OH 44115.
4. Make a secure on-line donation. Donate Now. Please note: Hurricane Relief in the Comments section.
5. Asssemble Church World Service cleanup and hygiene kits which are urgently needed.