May 27, 2006
UCC pledges relief support to responding partners.
Situation and Immediate Response
An earthquake that shook the area around the ancient royal city of Yogyakarta on Saturday killed more than 2,700, a government official said. The death toll is expected to rise. News reports indicate thousand of people injured and 70-80% of the building in Yogykarta flattened.
Yogyakarta is about 25 km (16 miles) north of the Indian Ocean coast and 440 km (275 miles) east of Jakarta.
The UCC has pledged support to partners in Indonesia who are responding as follows:
- Church World Service/Indonesia has sent three staff members to the affected area; two staff are doing assessments in Bantul and are preparing for the distribution of food and non-food items.
- YTBI ? Disaster Response of the Communion of Churches in Indonesia has sent two staff members from Jakarta to coordinate the distribution of food and medicine.
- YEU ? Christian Foundation for Public Health is evacuating injured children to Tegalyoso hospital in Klaten.
How you can help
1. Please pray for the people of Java affected by this earthquake and the emergency responders.
2. To help those affected by this disaster you may send gifts payable to your congregation marked "Java Earthquake", with the request they are sent through your Conference office on to Wider Church Ministries.
3. Send gifts payable to Wider Church Ministries and marked in the memo portion "Java Earthquake", to Wider Church Ministries; 700 Prospect Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115.
OR 4. Make a secure on-line donation now by clicking on the donation button on this page. (Please type "Java Earthquake" in the Comments section to indicate your gift designation.