Washington Office Intern
United Church Of Christ Justice and Witness Ministries
(A Covenanted Ministry of the United Church of Christ)
Position based in Washington, DC
JOB TITLE: Washington Office Intern
Please note that this is a paid internship with health benefits.
MINISTRY TEAM: Justice and Witness Program Team Based in Washington, DC
REPORTS TO: Director of the Washington Office
APPROVED BY: Sandra Sorensen, Director of the Washington Office
GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The intern will follow and advocate for justice in domestic and international policy at the federal level through the coalition work of faith-based advocacy offices, assist with major UCC advocacy campaigns and serve as part of the editorial board for the Justice and Peace Action Network (JPANet), which sets long-term and short-term strategy for communicating with and mobilizing the UCC electronic network of activists.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Participate in meetings of the Washington Interreligious Staff Community working groups and other meetings on domestic and international policy as needed.
• Assist in the planning and implementation of special projects and initiatives
• Serve as part of the JPANet editorial board. Assist in the planning, content and building of action alerts as necessary.
• Serve as a member of the Ecumenical Advocacy Days (EAD) planning committee and assist in planning and coordinating the UCC presence at EAD
• Bachelor’s degree or comparable education and experience;
• Commitment to and ability to carry out the mission of Justice and Witness Ministries through its Washington Office;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
Ability to handle multiple and complex projects, set priorities, meet deadlines, and work effectively both independently and as part of a team;
Respect for collaborative decision-making and community planning;
Self-motivation, dependability, flexibility, creativity, and problem solving skills; Interest in working for social justice efforts;
Strong organizational, administrative, and interpersonal skills;
Ability to interact effectively and sensitively with persons from diverse backgrounds;
Good computer skills- familiar with Word; experience with Excel, Outlook, database software, desktop publishing social media a plus;
Ability and willingness to travel as needed.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for the position and is subject to review and change at any time in accordance with the needs of the ministry. Since no job description can detail all duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a position, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a position shall also be considered part of the position holder’s responsibility.
It is expected that the person who holds this position will conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the policies of the Covenanted Ministries of the United Church of Christ and in a manner that will reflect positively on the organization. All staff are encouraged to nurture safety within the work performed on behalf of the Covenanted Ministries of the United Church of Christ by being attentive to self-care, education, maintaining appropriate boundaries, and the importance of referring those in need to supportive and helpful resources.
Application Deadline: Monday, January 18, 2013
To apply, please email or fax:
- Your resume
- 2 letters of reference
- Your response to the following 3 questions (this document should be no longer than 2 pages in length)
- Why are you interested in this internship?
- What do you hope to gain from the internship experience?
- What do you believe you will contribute to the internship?
Mail or fax to:
Alisa Lewis, Director of Human Resources
United Church of Christ
700 Prospect Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44115
The United Church of Christ, National Setting, is a Multicultural, Multiracial, Open and Affirming, Accessible to All, Equal Opportunity Employer.