2014 Ecumenical Advocacy Days
Come to the 12th annual Ecumenical Advocacy Days and join UCC advocates and hundreds of other Christians in “Resisting Violence, Building Peace.” Guided by the image of Jesus weeping over a capital city that turned from the true way of peace (Luke 19:41-42), we will expose the violence that pervades our culture and world:
- Nearly 3,000 children in the U.S. killed by guns each year;
- A quarter of U.S. women experiencing domestic abuse at some point in their lives;
- A decade of war, nearly 1,000 civilians killed by drones, and Pentagon spending dominating our federal budget over poverty protections, healthy job creation, economic revitalization and true international human security;
- More than 45 million people worldwide uprooted from their homes by persecution and armed conflict; and
- Deadly conflicts over natural resources erupting around the world.
As people of hope, we are consoled by the promise that “justice and peace shall embrace” (Psalm 85:10), and are reminded that justice requires peace-making and that peace requires justice-making. We will confront and imagine how to transform the violence in our world, and together will seek a vision of peace in the community, peace among the peoples, peace in the marketplace, and peace with the earth. Through prayer, worship, speakers, and advocacy training we will discover a faith-based vision for national policies that “guide our feet into the path of peace” (Luke 1:79), all culminating with Monday’s Congressional Lobby Day on Capitol Hill.
• UCC young adult scholarships are now available. Learn more and apply!
• View UCC specific events to take place at Ecumenical Advocacy Days
When: March 21, 2014
Where: Doubletree Hotel
300 Army-Navy Dr.
Crystal City, Virginia
Contact: Doug Grace
Phone: (202) 543-1126
More Information: http://advocacydays.org/